I didn’t write a birthday post this year, and I’ve been slow to get this year-in-review recap post up because SLUGGISH.
Which is not my word for 2018.
I think I’ve just got a case of the blahs right now. It’s been six months that I’ve been without a job and steady income. SIX MONTHS is a very long time. And while I had notice and knew that it was come, and planned and made contingencies for six months figuring it was going to take me that long to find another job, it’s been six months and nothing. Zip. Zilch. And my back up reserves have been depleted and now we are tapping in to the back-up / back-up reserves which I took a long time to acquire and I’m not excited about.
However, in reading my 2017 Word of the Year post and seeing the things I wanted to accomplish this year, I realize that I’ve done good. Job aside, I set intentions at the beginning of the year and they carried me throughout the last twelve months. I stayed focused and I can see results.
So that I keep accountable to myself and to all of you, here’s the 2017 goals and where I landed on this last day of the year:
- Shifting my health back to a place of caring. I didn’t start the first six months of the year on track at ALL. The universe had a different idea, and handed me the gift of #WhenGallBladdersAttack. Yes, I said a gift. Because my gallbladder attack was a way to wake my ass up to how I was destroying my body and shortening my life, without actually killing me or handing me something that wasn’t able to be turned around. As of today, I’m still at the 30 pounds lost mark. The holidays were about maintaining and not gaining for me. And while I had hoped to get to ONEderland by the end of 2017, I know that I will get there in the months ahead if I keep working at it.
- Shifting my perception of those around me and what I feel their judgment of me will be if I am my authentic self. After 30 years, I finally have the #PurpleHairDontCare that I’ve wanted since I was in high school. Have I gotten a few odd looks since I’ve added fun colors to my hair? Yep. Have I figured out that I don’t give a damn? YEPPERS. As long as my partner and my kids are happy with me, and I AM HAPPY WITH ME, that’s all that matters.
- Shifting the way we look at our home and possessions and not hang on to so much STUFF. I did a lot of purging the first months of 2017 and then that was it. While it was a good start, there is more that can be done.
- Shifting the way I look at my self-care. While I still spend a lot of time watching television, I have tried to be more intention about reading books, going out with friends, and experiencing things that I love (concerts and plays).
- Shifting the way I look at parenting. I am patting myself on the back for this one because I’ve rocked at parenting this year. I feel like I have been very intentional about plugging back in with my kids, learning how each one of them works and figuring out how to motivate and communicate with them both in a way that works for them and still gets the parenting job done. While I am not winning every day (who is??), I’ve definitely stepped up my game and I’m happy with my progress in this area.
- Shifting our handing of home finances. Nailed this one. Preparing to be out of a job forced me to really look at this one and quit waiting to get a handle on this. We are on a tight budget, and work hard to stick to it. And we save like crazy so that we can do the fun things together as parents, and with the kids. For the first time this year, we took all three girls away for the weekend. With no credit cards. We couldn’t figure out how to do it without needing to rob a bank, so we never have. We spent most of the year saving for it, made it their primary Christmas present and made it happen. HOORAY US!
- Shifting how I look at the world and what’s really happening. Yes, I’ve used my voice. My words. My platform to elevate the voices of people of color and women and anyone else who was being shit on this year, and historically. I have a big mouth and, much to those around me, have not been afraid to use it. I’ve lost friends on social for calling out those that look like me that have a bigger responsibility to do more. I’m more than okay with that. It’s been a hard to maintain since last November. But we’ve got three more years of this Dumpster Fire of a presidency, and we need to keep on track. Bigger than that though we have years and years of work to do, STILL, for everyone who is not a rich, white, Christian, man. I’m not letting up. Or shutting up.
Setting goals is great, but you have to keep yourself accountable or you don’t grow. For me, life is about growth. I don’t want to look back five years from now and find out that I have stayed stuck in the same place, and I’m the same person. Then I’m wasting my days. Challenge yourself to learn something new every day. Stretch. Reach for something you didn’t think you could grasp or weren’t sure you even wanted. Life is full or surprises.
Believe it or not, I’m still undecided on my 2018 Word of the Year. I am wavering between two and haven’t locked it in yet. Stay tuned tomorrow to find out what it is!