I struggled with this one. Last year, it was easy to come up with Shift as my word of the year because so many things needed to MOVE in my life. I loved the act of setting intentions and then holding myself – and being held – accountable to words on paper. That means something to me. I wanted to do it again for 2018, but I have really searched and wandered around, looking for the right word.
Today, at the last-minute, I feel like I have finally settled on something that fits what I believe 2018 will have in store for me.
By definition, Accelerate means to “move faster, to gain speed”, “to hasten the progress or development of” and “to bring about at an earlier time”. Yep, that’s absolutely what I need to 2018 to be about.
- Accelerate my job search. I’ve been only giving it half-effort in the last few months, and I really need to kick it in to 100% overdrive. I know what works for my family and what doesn’t. I’m an amazing addition to any team, and I give a thousand percent. But I need to work remotely so that I can also be a thousand percent the mother my children deserve. I can do both. It may not be the career I wanted to have, but there IS a job for me that allows me to be an amazing employee and mother, simultaneously. I will fight vigorously to find it.
- Accelerate my parenting skills and connections. My children and step-children deserve my best, always. They are all in different stages of their lives, and their needs are not the same on any given day. The common thread is my time and my patience. Both which I will continue to be better, do better, and give them more. There are no do-overs in parenting and you only get one chance to get it right. It’s the most important job I have.
- Accelerate my relationship skills. I love my sweetheart, but I can acknowledge there are times that I have gotten lazy and complacent in our relationship. Like my relationship with the kids, he deserves my best effort and our relationship will suffer if we place it at the bottom of the To Do list. There are things that I can do to get it back to a place that was more fulfilling for both of us, and I need to work on that in the coming year.
- Accelerate the health and financial well-being of our home. I need to make more strategic decisions when it comes to the financial health of our family, and our long-term goals. Maybe that means we look at moving in the next year to give us more financial freedom and more space for our growing children. Who knows – but I need to stop waiting and start moving because retirement will never be an option if I don’t. I also need to ramp up the decluttering, cleaning and overall get-back-to-loving our home again instead of just a dropping place in between school activities that it has become. We haven’t spent a lot of time here lately, and when we do everyone has been allowed to retreat to their own corners and hide behind screens. More family activities, places for crafts and reading, and less nonsense in the house will be better for everyone
- Accelerate my personal health goals. I have zero expectations of getting back to the size 10 that I was for the first 37 years of my life. I’m totally fine with it. A realistic goal for me is to lose another 30 pounds and start a daily exercise routine. The plantar fasciitis in my left foot isn’t getting any better, and I’m still not as active as I need to be.
So there you have it. Go out and find your work for 2018 and let it be the force that guides you through the year.